School District: North Hanover School District
Scope of Work: Provide Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing and fire protection engineering design for a new Elementary School, which replaced (3) existing, older elementary schools located on the McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst Joint Base. The 180,000 SF school provided classrooms and facilities for over 900 students.
- All MEPFP systems were designed to LEED Silver standards, however the District did not pursue actual LEED certification.
- (2) Central, high efficiency air cooled chillers, 300 tons each.
- (4) Central, high efficiency condensing style boilers, 3,000 Mbh each, totaling 12,000,000 Mbh.
- Hot water / chilled water 4-pipe system with pumps and VFD’s.
- Dedicated outside air systems (DOAS) units in penthouses supplying variable mechanical ventilation air to all occupied spaces.The DOAS system is partially de-coupled from the primary mechanical heating and cooling equipment in order to simplify the controls and maintenance.
- Vertical air handling units in closets off the corridors serving each classroom with hot / chilled water coils. This provides for ease of maintenance during classes and also improves acoustics within the academic space.
- Packaged and built-up air handling units for larger spaces including Lobby, Gym, Cafeteria, Library, Art, Multipurpose, etc.
- 15kV electrical service from the MDL Base along with a new 480V, 3,000A MDP, including digital metering and surge protection.
- High efficiency LED lighting and 0-10V dimming throughout the building and LED for all exterior lighting.
- Large, 450kW diesel generator to backup significant portions of the building for sheltering-in-place.
- Voice evacuation fire alarm system for both alarm and mass notification purposes.
- Data, telephone and CATV structured cabling system design.
- Audio/visual systems design for the entire building and each space.
- Public address systems with wireless, IP powered, clocks that adjust based on an internet time server.
- IP-based security system with cameras, card readers, door switches and motion detectors.
- Separate design contract to construct a 272kWdc solar PV system on the roof of the building.
- Plumbing systems, including high efficiency condensing style water heaters, low-flow fixtures and a domestic water booster pumping system.
- Fully sprinklered building with a fire pump.